Sunday, March 04, 2007

35th Surfman Award: Austin Reed of Regent Street



Today I purchased a vintage Austin Reed silk bow tie in Kensington Market. I imediately went home and learned to tie it from Tie-a-tie.net. I just love the leafy pattern and dark & light shades of blue, I can't wait to wear it to work. Austin Reed found his elegant and classic English style tailored clothing company back in 1900. Today his company has over 70 outlets in the UK and across the world, with the flagship store on Regent street.

I have not worn a bow tie since I was a lad, so this week will be the test on whether I make the switch. I am fascinated by it, because it is different and more individualistic, leaving the longer ties for the masses and conformists. However that is just one man's opinion, and who knows if I have the stuff to carry it off. It has been said that the Bow Tie originated among Croatian mercenaries during the prussian wars of the 17th century. The Croatians used a scarf around their neck to hold together the opening of their shirts. The method was soon adopted by the upper classes in France, and flouished in the 18th and 19th centuries. The famous writer Honore de Balzac even wrote a book on the subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home